Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hemp Day- The Supa Food Interview



There are a lot of 'trendy' food items out there these days.  Let's take chia seeds for instance.  I remember buying them a couple years ago and making chia pudding.  Now you can actually go to the grocery store and find pre-made chia pudding.  You wouldn't have found that a couple years ago.  I'd say it's definitely having a moment. And for good reason. See here


But today I want to talk about Hemp. This little guy has had quite the buzz around him. I thought it would be fun if I interviewed the cool kid on the block.  So without further ado...

Me: Hi Hemp, thank you for taking the time to talk to us today.  Can you tell us where you're from?

Hemp: Hi everyone. Thanks for having me! I am originally from the Cannabis plant. I am actually considered a fruit, not a seed.  I have a mild nutty flavor similar to sunflower seeds or pine nuts but my texture is more akin to sesame seeds.

Sometimes I have a negative reputation because people lump me in with marijuana.  We come from different varieties of the Cannabis plant and I have much lower levels of THC.  THC is the psychoactive ingredient in Marijuana.  When you eat me you don't have to worry about experiencing any mind altering effects or a false positive drug test.

Though the United States is the leading consumer of hemp products, growing hemp is banned here due to it's affiliation with marijuana.  A few states have passed laws removing barriers to production and research of hemp.  Most of the hemp sold here actually comes from Canada.

Me: Wow. Well it seems with your ever increasing popularity things may change in the future.  Could you tell me a little about your nutrition profile?

Hemp: I am a complete protein source.  This means I contain all the 9 essential amino acids your body needs to properly function.  I am a great option for vegans/vegetarians because many plant based foods are incomplete sources of protein (meaning they lack one or more of the essential amino acids). Essential amino acids are important because your body cannot produce them, you must get them from food. However, even though I do contain all the essential amino acids, it is important to note I am low in leucine (an essential amino acid) so you would not want to use me as your only source of protein.

Me: That's very interesting.  I know as a vegetarian, I am always looking for alternative protein sources to change up my routine.  What types of products can I find hemp in? And do you have any other nutritional benefits?

Hemp: You can find me as a milk alternative, flour, oil, ice cream, protein powder, and seeds.  My seeds are great toppings for salads as well as useful in smoothies and granola.  I am also found in beauty products such as lotion.

My other stats include:

The natural ratio (4:1) of Omega 6 fatty acids (GLA) to Omega 3 Fatty Acids (ALA): These fatty acids help with inflammation, brain health, reducing risk of cardiovascular disease, improving lipid levels, and blood pressure regulation, joint function, maintenance of skin and hair.

Many times we consume Omega 6:Omega 3s in a much higher ratio of say 20:1 or even 50:1 because omega 6 fatty acids can be found in processed vegetable oils and processed foods.  By consuming me, you are getting the desirable ratio nature intended.  Some studies have shown the imbalance of omega 6 to omega 3s can contribute to illness.

Other vitamins and minerals include: manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamin, zinc, calcium, vitamin B6, riboflavin, and folate.

For a serving size of 3 tablespoons,  I contain: 10 grams of protein, 3 grams of dietary fiber, 13 grams of fat (healthy fats), and 170 calories.

Me: That's it.. ?

Hemp: Um, err I thought that was a lot..

Me: Hemp! I'm just kidding.  You're great!

Hemp: Oh haha right! You pulled a fast one one me.

Me: Thanks again for the interview.  See you next time in some food.


Okay so that was a lot to digest and absorb (haha).  Some important things to keep in mind are while it is a nutrition powerhouse, you want to be mindful of your portion size.  As you can see it contains concentrated amount of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, and calories.  At 170 calories for 3 tbsp. you don't want to get too hemp happy at the price of your waistline just because its "healthy".

I know most people have heard how important omega 3's are in their diet and know that fish or fish oil pills are a great source for them.  But did you know that plant omega 3s are different than the omega 3s you find in fish?

Seafood and algae (<<< a great option for vegetarians/vegans who do not eat fish) contain the long chain fatty acids,  eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) while the short chain fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) is found in plant sources including walnuts, flaxseeds, canola oil, and soybean oil.

Many studies proclaiming the benefits of omega 3s are talking about DHA and EPA specifically. The body only partially converts ALA into DHA and EPA.  Because it is not converted as efficiently, many experts recommend DHA and EPA over ALA.  With that said, all three are beneficial to the diet. [Nutrition can be so confusing sometimes..]

In my opinion, I think it is  important to consume a variety of foods and perhaps take supplements if you are concerned about your omega 3 intake. Don't forget if you don't eat fish, you can buy algae omega 3 supplements.

To conclude, hemp seeds and food products can be a great addition to your diet by not only providing essential fatty acids, but a number of other vitamins, minerals, and protein.

And just incase your curious, I browsed Whole Foods to see what hemp products they carry and this is what I found:




















No comments:

Post a Comment