Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kale Fried Rice

This dish was inspired by leftover rice in the fridge.  It was my first time making fried rice and I'm going to keep this recipe in my main rotation because it is very adaptable.


  Exact recipes are great, but I also like to wing it and know that it's going to come out delicious every single time.  For this variation I chose kale, carrots, and red bell pepper. But you can choose whatever ingredients you want to use.  Make it your own. 

Right now kale is my go to girl.  I am completely infatuated and obsessed.  I find myself only wanting to look up kale recipes, but I am trying to exercise will power.  Now is not the time to churn out kale salad after kale salad (Note- if I wasn't concerned with boring people to death on this blog, I totally would).  Now is the time to expand my horizons.  Soo I present to you a non-salad kale dish.  #compromise


Also I have shared a few dessert recipes as of late so I feel I owe you guys something savory and healthy.

Adios for now! 





Kale Fried Rice
Slightly adapated from cookieandkate.com

  • 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs beaten 
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
  • 2-3 carrots finely sliced
  • 1-2 bunches of lacinato kale*
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 2- 2 1/2 cups cooked and chilled rice
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
  • 1 lime cut into wedges 
  • Optional: Fresh cilantro for garnish 
*Lacinato kale is smooth as opposed to it's curly sister.  It's my personal favorite, but both will work fine in this recipe.  Against my better judgment I used only 1 bunch of kale. Use two if you're like me and you like a sea of green when you look at your plate. 


Directions
1.  Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium heat with 1 tsp. of oil. Pour in the eggs and stir continuously until you have scrambled eggs.  Remove from pan and store in a bowl off to the side.  Wipe out the pan to clean it and then place one tbsp. of oil into the pan.  Add the garlic, carrots, and bell peppers (or whatever veggies you choose: onions, mushrooms, zucchini etc).  Cook until the veggies are tender.  Add the kale and 1/4 tsp. of salt.  Once kale has wilted, add the veggies to your bowl with the eggs.
2.  Add 2 tsp. of oil to the pan once again and pour in the rice.  Stir until rice is evenly reheated and hot.  Add 1 tbsp. soy sauce and 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce and stir.  Add veggies and eggs, stirring until everything is evenly incorporated. Serve with fresh lime on the side and cilantro on the top. 







No comments:

Post a Comment