Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lemon Squares






I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day! The older I get, the more I truly appreciate Mother's and Father's Day.  Raising a family is no small feat and everyday we should remember to celebrate our parents.  One of my dad's favorite desserts are lemon squares so I decided to make him some for his special day. Complete with a card of course {^^See above^^}







What I love about lemon squares is the sharp contrast between the rich and buttery shortbread crust and then sharp, tart lemon filling.  It's the perfect kind of food that satisfies everybody...even those weirdos who don't like sweets. Oh, and I also like one of these bars with a cup of coffee in the morning {move over scones!}


[Everybody say hi to my shadow.]


Since I'm on a roll talking about what I like about lemon squares, let's continue this dance shall we?
Okay cool.  I like that they're really really easy to make.  I typically don't gravitate towards time consuming recipes because 1. What is free time? Ha. and 2. If it turns out bad, I don't have to be depressed over the fact that I spent 2 or more precious hours on something inedible.




Furthermore, these will not disappoint in the flavor category.  They are full of lemon flavor.
 I'm not a fan of lemon squares that are tame in that department because LEMON is in the name so it has to be the star of the show.  It's the rule.

Lemon Squares
Fromvalerieskitchen.com

For the shortbread crust..
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
For the lemon filling..

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (this took me 3 or 4 little lemons)
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, use an electric hand mixer to blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Mix for about 3 minutes until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9″ x 13″ inch pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or till lightly golden at edges.
While shortbread  layer is baking prepare the topping. In medium sized mixing bowl, whisk eggs well. Add 2 cups granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt and whisk to combine.  Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest (if using). Finally, whisk in 1/4 cup flour until well incorporated. Pour over the warm, baked crust. Return to the oven for an additional 20 to 23 minutes at 350 degrees until topping appears to be set and is just beginning to lightly brown.
Allow to cool completely then sprinkle surface liberally with powdered sugar. Cut into serving sized pieces and store in an airtight container.


** I forgot to sprinkle these bars with powdered sugar at the end. Ooops.  Fortunately my family didn't notice and didn't care. Don't be like me and make sure you don't forget that step.  They look much prettier that way :)










No comments:

Post a Comment