Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Kale Salad


Spending time at home with my parents these past few weeks has been oh so nice.  It is a luxury having a kitchen with actual counter space and kitchen supplies to make anything food.  Did you know I didn't have a microwave last year?  Yeah.. not enough counter space in my studio apartment and I had to get my priorities straight -- clunky microwave or place to make meals.  I don't know if that has any shock value, but it was a little bit of an adjustment at first.  I had become accustomed to reheating leftovers, my coffee, my tea, and nuking the trusty standby frozen meal when I was lazy and starving.  After a couple of weeks I didn't miss it though.  It forced me to buy less processed foods and if my next apartment doesn't have a microwave I can't say it will be missed {or that I will buy one}

This kale salad is simple and fresh.  Not the type of meal you would need ample counter space for as it takes 10 minutes to make and uses minimal ingredients but hey, the extra counter space makes taking pictures a little easier :) I made this salad for my family last Friday and then again on Saturday when my college roommate, Kimmy, came to visit me!  She will be working in Texas all summer, so I am sure you will see her lovely face or hear about her more on this blog.  This salad also got her seal of approval as well.
The essential component of zee dressing!

In case you need more convincing to make this salad, my mom requested I make this salad again on Saturday and unbeknownst to me she bought more kale and had everything ready to go for me to make it. 


P.S .  Did you know you should massage kale? Yup. It only takes five minutes, but it transforms kale. The greens go from being rough and bitter to tender and sweet. This is because you are breaking down the cellulose {the structural component of the plant} and why many people don't give kale two thumbs up initially.  But they would if they knew to massage kale! So spread the holy  healthy word! 
 //--The dressing on this salad will also help to tenderize the salad as it sits--\\





Kale Salad
Adapted from marinmamacooks.com
  • 1 bunch of lacinato kale (de-stemmed** and thinly sliced)  
  • Juice of 1 lemon ( about 3 tbsp.)
  • 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
  • salt
  • pepper
  • pinch of red pepper flakes or more depending on your tastebuds
  • 2/3 cup parmesan cheese
*[De-stem kale by placing fingers at the base of leaf and pulling upwards gently] 


1.  Wash, de-stem, thinly slice the kale and place it in a bowl.
2.  Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. 
3.  Pour the dressing over kale and massage. {clean hands of course}
4.  Once kale is massaged, add parmesan cheese and mix well. 
4.  Serve immediately or let it marinate for a few hours.  Either way it's all yum. 









  

No comments:

Post a Comment