Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing



Although I have been back in Texas for about a month and half I can't help but comment on how hot it is sometimes. I know, I know.. DUH.  I live in Texas!  Fair enough.  But in my defense I have spent the last two years in Maine where 70's is summer and at night you need a jacket.  If you know me though..you could throw in the fact that I grew up in Florida so I shouldn't be complaining haha.  What can I say I am the true definition of a female-- not everything has to make perfect sense, you go off of what you feel.



And warmer weather makes me feel like eating salads. How's that for going with your feelings? Or eating your feelings :P This one is extremely easy--{my favorite adjective for food}. The only cooking you have to do is boil the orzo and it tastes so dang good! For reals. So please, make it friends.




It does have a little kick to it so if you're not down with that I suggest omitting the 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper and maybe adding the 1 tsp. of chili powder in increments..tasting as you go.




Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing
Adapted from Cooking Light


  • 1 cup uncooked orzo
  • 1 cup frozen whole kern kernel, thawed and drained
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered.
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1 [15 oz.] can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
  • 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, divided 
  • 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 2 tbsp. sour cream
  • 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 avocado, cut into chunks
1.  Cook orzo according to the package directions.  Drain and rinse; drain well.  Place orzo, corn and next 3 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl; toss.

2.  Combine buttermilk, 2 tbsp. cilantro and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over orzo mixture and toss. Top with avocado and garnish with remaining cilantro. 







No comments:

Post a Comment