Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bars

Remember this picture from the last post?




I turned these brown guys into healthy granola bars!



I am invariably looking and making granola bars.  I can't help it.  I want to the the kind of lady who churns out the hearty, nutty variety but also the soft, fruity kind.  And I want to make them all so much that I have the recipes memorized and I can rotate them out like clockwork..never tiring of them.  


Today's recipe is one I will make time and time again.  It tastes like banana bread, only it's not.  And unlike most banana breads you will be getting many benefits (high fiber, naturally sweetened, minimally processed, real ingredients, easy on the budget…) 








In this recipe I used mini chips because my friend Kimmy who has come up a lot lately on here (Hey Kimmy!) uses them in baking and thinks they are the bomb.com.. and I have to agree. They are the perfect size helping to compliment the flavors, while not being bossy and overtaking the bar. 

So go forth and make these.  Add them to your lunch or have them for a snack. You won't be sorry :) 


**Customizations: substitute the honey for maple syrup and the chocolate chips and your bars will be vegan.  Omit the nuts if you or any loved ones have a nut allergy.  If you would like these bars to be gluten free look for gluten free oats.


Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bars
slightly adapted from momables.com
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3-2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat chex crushed (or whatever rice cereal you prefer)
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • cinnamon (ad lib people)
1.  Toast oats in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
2.  While cooling, mash bananas in a large bowl.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients, including the oats once they are all cooled.
3.  Spray an 8x8 inch pan and place the mixture in the pan making sure it is evenly distributed. 
4.  Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes.
5.  Once bars have cooled, cut and eat! Makes about 12 bars. 








No comments:

Post a Comment