Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Healthy Nachos

Bar food is the best.  It's greasy, it's cheesy, and just plain wonderful.  Nachos, wings (well, now it's more like fried tofu or something), burgers, french fries, fried pickles.. You name I love it.  But I do have one complaint when it comes to nachos.  It's also the reason I am usually hesitant to order them out.  Ready for it?  Okay.  WHY the heck do they only cover the top layer of nachos with delicious toppings and leave the underneath chips naked and forgotten?  Such a scam for the price and such a shame for the tastebuds.

Sooo most of the time I don't order them except if I am sharing them as an appetizer.  Then I am happy to munch away on the naked and not so great chips because I know my entree is coming (which hopefully is way better).




Also, nachos aren't exactly the healthiest food.  And this blog is primarily a healthy blog/sometimes not blog because we all gotta live right?  I'm not uptight about food but I also like taking care of my body and treating it well.  Plus I am a Dietitian so I guess it's just a part of my personality/interest.  Anyways.. One day I decided nachos would be tasty but then I thought about potato skins.. and then I decided to combine the two sort of but using a sweet potato instead (holla beta carotene).

And ta da.. healthy nachos were born.  No chips necessary, when you have round saucers of sweet potato.  And if you want to make them more chip like, crisp them up in the oven longer.  It's your call.



This isn't really a "recipe" because you can add whatever you want, in whatever quantities you desire.  It all just depends on how many servings you'd like. 


Sweet Potato Nachos

  • 1 large sweet potato 
  • 1 can of black beans (or meat if that's your thang)
  • Shredded cheese (mexican, cheddar, cojita)
  • Salsa/fresh tomatoes
  • Sour cream/plain greek yogurt
  • Lettuce/kale/spinach 
  • Avocado
  • Lime
  • Cilantro
Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 375/400 F.  Slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch rounds and lay flat onto a sprayed (ie. Pam) baking sheet.  
2.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping half way.  If you would like them more crispy, leave in longer.
3.  Once done, sprinkle cheese on top and place back in the oven until cheese is melted.
4.  Place sweet potato rounds onto a plate and top with whatever toppings you desire. 
5.  Squeeze a lime on top for some zest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment